Along the trail you can enjoy
- The National Park Gate in Gemünd (start)
- the impressive beech and oak forests of the Kermeter hills
- local cuisine at the "Kermeterschänke" hotel restaurant (a National Park host)
- a visit to the only Trappist monastery for monks in Germany, where you can also take a break for refreshments
- the impressive "Wiegelskammer" natural forest reserve
- the National Park Gate at Heimbach station (end)
Tips for a lazy day off in Heimbach
(Tips for Schleiden-Gemünd are to be found under Section 2):
- Visit the National Park Gate at Heimbach station, with its free exhibition on the secrets of the beech forest and walk-in audio exhibit.
- Visit Hengebach castle in Heimbach.
- Do a kayak or canoe trip from Heimbach to Hürtgenwald-Zerkall on the River Rur (available from 15th July to 28th February).
- Visit the Jugendstil power station; the tunnels of this power station still transport the water from the Urft Lake to Heimbach.
Eifel National Park hosts for hikers in Heimbach and surroundings:
- Pension "Haus Diefenbach", Heimbach-Hasenfeld
- Hotel-Restaurant "Kermeterschänke", Schleiden-Wolfgarten (ca. 8 km)